Simple Supported Side Bend
3 to 5 minutes per side
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
Square eighth-fold blanket
- If you have a spinal injury, replace the bolster with one or two stacked long eighth-fold blankets to reduce the curve in your spine.
- Gently stretches your obliques, latissimus dorsi, and intercostal muscles.
- Gently decompresses your spine.
- Invites your breath to deepen.
- Supports and maintains your spine in normal, healthy lateral flexion.
- Helps relieve lower back pain.
- Encourages a feeling of flexibility.
and bring the long edge of the bolster up against your right thigh.
small gap in between.
gap between the bolster and the blanket. Release your right arm out in front of you and rest your head on the blanket.
a little more length.
hand onto the bolster and press yourself up. Leave the props as they are and turn yourself around to sitting on your left hip to repeat the pose on the other side.
Place a blanket or pillow between your knees for more support or to relieve discomfort in your knees or hips.