Grounding Spinal Twist
Twist • 3 to 5 minutes per side
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
- If spinal rotation is contraindicated for you (in the case of spinal injury or pregnancy), skip this pose.
- Supports and maintains your spine in normal, healthy rotation.
- Gently decompresses your spine.
- Gently stretches your lumbar muscles.
- Helps relieve back pain.
- Invites feelings of connection and stability.
- . Sit on your right hip with your knees bent and your feet tucked in behind you and bring the narrow end of the bolster up against your right
navel and heart toward the bolster. Slowly lower your torso down and place either cheek on the bolster.
either side of the bolster and press yourself up. Leave the bolster where it is and turn yourself around to sitting on your left hip to repeat the pose on the other side.
It’s common to try to support yourself with your arms in this pose, so make sure to take your elbows a little wider and relax, letting the bolster do the work for you.