It’s in these forgotten foods that you find a bank of nutrients that work as the agents that keep the body’s acidity levels down and the blood sugar levels under check, and improve the health of the microbiome. These come into our diet through almost a secret route—the pickle, the chutney, the laddoo. And if you are going by conventional information on diet, you are most likely to miss out on them. Let’s look at how.
• You may be told to consume more iron or folic acid and you must just rely on pills or drown yourself in a bowl of spinach every day without realizing that a handful of cashews or an aliv (garden cress) laddoo will load you on both the folate and the iron and that too without constipating you.
Yoga Poses Pregnancy To Avoid Photo Gallery
• Or you may avoid pickle because you fear that it has ‘too much salt’ and then land up missing out on many essential nutrients from the pickle, especially Vit K2. You may have never heard of Vit K2, or you may be completely unaware of its role in preventing bone loss and osteoporosis, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t benefit from it. One of my clients from Pune received a tiny bottle of amla achaar from her maternal grandmother on getting pregnant. This achaar was made by the grandmother’s mother and kept solely for the use of pregnant girls in the household to protect their spines.
• Or you could be loading up on high-fibre packaged cereals or oats because you’ve been told it’s healthier, little knowing that the phytate from it is going to block the absorption of many minerals in your body, more importantly that of magnesium. And then what we often overlook, but our grandmoms didn’t, is that Vit K2 and magnesium are critical for Vit D absorption. Isn’t that interesting in our world of Vit D deficiencies? And that together, these three protect the bones and even have a heart-protective effect.
To summarize—the pregnancy food rules help us make the right food choices and simplify the dizzyingly complicated world of pregnancy foods and nutrition for the mother and the foetus. They tell us that the ‘dal-chawal-achaar’ or ‘khichdi-pickle-curd’ meals are complete for the body and most of their real benefits are hidden and unknown. And that beyond carbs and calories lies a magical world full of heritage recipes, super foods and secret ingredients, whose custodians are our grandmothers and where healthy pregnancies are a norm. Let’s explore this in the next chapter.
Pregnancy Yoga Exercises for The Last Trimester
Yoga Poses to Avoid When Pregnant
Strenuous Yoga Poses To Avoid When Pregnant
Is It Safe To Practice Ashtanga Yoga During Pregnancy?
The 5 Best Yoga Poses for Pregnancy and 4 to Avoid
16 Yoga Poses to Avoid During Pregnancy
Pregnancy Yoga: Everything You Need to Know
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Strength And Training Exercises
- Find Your Bliss With Yoga
- Yoga And Diet For Weight Loss
- Kimberly Wyatt Workout Routine
- Exercises Fitness Yoga Lose Weight