1. Begin by standing with feet 3-4 feet apart with knees unbent. Lift your arms so they are parallel to the floor, and reach out with them on wither side with your palms facing down.
2. Turn your left foot outwards by 90 degrees, and your right foot slightly outwards, keeping your heels aligned. Align your left thigh so that your left kneecap is in line with your left ankle.
3. Exhale and bend your right knee over your right ankle so the shin is perpendicular to the floor, whilst keeping your left heel firmly rooted to the floor.
4. Reach out with your arms away from the torso, keeping the arms parallel to the floor. Keep the torso upright above the pelvis and as long as possible. Turn the head to gaze left and look along the left arm.
5. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute. To come out of this position inhale, and return to your original standing stance. Then repeat these instructions on the other side.
This position stretches and strengthens the legs and ankles, as well as stretching the shoulders, groin, chest and lungs. It can improve and increase stamina and relieve backaches and sciatica.