1. Begin by standing with feet 3-4 feet apart with knees unbent. Raise your arms skywards and parallel to one another, reaching upwards with your little fingers.
2. Turn your left foot inwards by 45 degrees, and your right foot outwards by 90 degrees to the right whilst keeping your heels aligned. Exhale and rotate your torso to the right, pushing backwards with your left heel. Lengthen your spine and arch your upper back slightly whilst continuing to reach upwards.
3. Exhale and bend your right knee over your right ankle so the shin is perpendicular to the floor, whilst keeping your left heel firmly rooted to the floor.
4. Reach up strongly through your arms, extending the ribcage away from the pelvis. Bring the palms together and reach up through the little-fingers. Keep your head in a neutral position gazing forwards.
5. Remain in this position for at least 30 seconds, increasing the duration as your ability increases. To come out of this position inhale, press the back heel firmly into the floor and reach up through the arms, straightening the right knee. Return the feet to the forward position and release the arms with an exhalation. Then repeat these instructions on the other side.
This pose stretches and strengthens the shoulders, back and neck, thighs and groin, as well as the chest and lungs. It also stretches the calves and ankles.