Are you forever trying new workouts, only to lose interest after a few weeks? Fitness influencer and busy mum, Toni Terry, knows how you feel. Over the years, Toni tried every fitness and diet fad going, yet always felt something was missing and she wasn’t achieving the results she wanted. Diagnosed with scoliosis as a teenager, she had to undergo major surgery that left her unable to walk. Toni made a remarkably quick recovery by keeping active and, since then, has strived to stay fit and healthy, but it wasn’t always easy to stay motivated. Then her husband, the international footballer John Terry, introduced Toni to his PT, Bradley Simmonds check out his workout, for a family workout session with their two kids and Toni’s mum and dad. ‘It was tough but really enjoyable and we laughed from beginning to end,’ says Toni. ‘We were all different fitness levels and ages, crossing the generations, but we worked hard and had a great time.’
Top Celebrity Workout Routines to Get in Shape Photo Gallery
It seemed like a winning formula so, for her next workout session with Simmonds, Toni invited a few girlfriends to join them. It proved such fun, they started to meet regularly. ‘Come rain or shine, we were out there, always laughing and motivating each other, all of us different sizes and shapes and fitness abilities,’ says Toni. ‘The time flew by and we’d almost forget we were exercising – it was a total win-win situation. I’d finally hit upon a workout I loved – and I could see my body changing. Plus, I got to spend time with my buddies!’ Toni now works out with friends around twice a week, as well as training with a PT or her husband and getting active as a family, cycling, walking or trampolining. ‘I love the variety,’ she says. ‘It’s a system I can fit into my busy day and I’ve devised a set of exercises that can be done with partners, friends and on my own at home.’ Feeling fitter and healthier than ever, Toni has now written new book The Buddy Workout (Lagom, £14.99) based on her tried-and-tested method, a combination of cardio, HIIT and body-weight training designed to get results. At the heart of the book is a series of partner workouts you can do with a friend or family member. Here’s one to try, just grab a buddy and enjoy!
4 REASONS TO BUDDY UP
1. IT’S FUN ‘Working out with friends gives you an excuse to catch up regularly and have a laugh as you get through one more push-up!’ says Toni. ‘It’s also a great way to spend time with a partner or a family member away from the distractions of work, school and screens, and the madness of everyday life.’
2. YOU’LL STICK AT IT ‘It’s much harder to ditch your workout if you’ve made a commitment to exercise with others,’ says Toni. ‘If you don’t want to let your workout buddies down, you’ll find that extra reserve of energy you didn’t know you had.’
3. IT BOOSTS YOUR CONFIDENCE ‘Starting out on any fitness or lifestyle programme can be daunting, but if you have a buddy or two supporting you, the process can be far less intimidating. It’s like having your own personal cheerleader!’ says Toni. ‘The right workout buddy will help you to reach your goals and push you to do those few extra reps.’
4. YOU’LL GET RESULTS ‘A little healthy rivalry between friends and family is no bad thing,’ says Toni. ‘And if your workout buddy is a little fitter than you, it might motivate you to work harder, especially if they’re giving you lots of encouragement.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- FITNESS EXPERT GIVE ME STRENGTH
- How to Stays In Shape
- Fitness Is A Way To Manage Your Feelings Of Depression
- Yoga Poses To Help Rebalance Your Body
- How To Stay Young Like Celebrities