Supported Open Twist
Twist • 3 to 5 minutes per side
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
- If spinal rotation is contraindicated for you (in the case of spinal injury or pregnancy), skip this pose.
- If you experience lower back pain or sensitivity, substitute Gentle Open Twist.
- Supports and maintains your spine in normal, healthy rotation.
- Gently decompresses your spine.
- Gently stretches the chest, shoulders, abdomen, and outer hip.
- Invites a sense of freedom and receptivity, transforming obstacles into possibility.
Restorative Yoga Poses : Supported Open Twist Photo Gallery
- . Start inSimple Supported Side Bendwith your right side on the bolster.
- . Leave your legs and hips as they are, and gently roll your left shoulder back into the twist.
- . Remain in Supported Open Twist for 3 to 5 minutes. To exit, gently return to Simple Supported Side Bend. Place your left hand onto the bolster in front of your heart and press yourself up.
- . Leave the bolster where it is and turn your body around to sitting on your left hip to repeat the pose on the second side.
Breathing in twists can be challenging, as these poses place tension on the intercostal muscles between your ribs. Don’t twist so far that you find that you cannot breathe easily, even if you feel that you can physically go further. Remember, you’re here to relax.