Seated Half Butterfly
Hip Opener, Forward Fold • 5 minutes per side
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
Block (or large hardcover book)
- If you should avoid forward bending due to injury or pain, substitute Head to Bolster Pose.
- If you experience pain or discomfort in your lower back in forward bends, use more support such as two bolsters, or rest your head and arms on a chair seat to minimize spinal flexion.
Restorative Yoga Poses : Seated Half Butterfly Photo Gallery
- Gently stretches your back, glutes, groin, and inner thigh muscles.
- Helps relieve lower back pain associated with tight spinal extensors and lordosis.
- Can help alleviate neck pain, headache, and menstrual pain.
- . From a sitting position, bend your right knee and draw your heel
toward your pelvis. Extend your left leg long and wide.
- . Place the block in front of you and rest the bolster on it, keeping the
narrow end close to your right foot.
- . Bow forward and rest your chest and one cheek on the bolster.
- . Remain in Seated Half Butterfly for 5 minutes. To exit, press into your
hands and sit up. Move the bolster out of your way so you can extend your right leg and bend your left knee to repeat the pose on the other side.
If you need a quick stress relief break at the office, you can use the seat of any chair without wheels to support your arms and head in this pose.