Hip Opener, Forward Fold • 5 to 8 minutes
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
2 blocks (or large hardcover books)
- If you should avoid forward bending due to injury or pain, substitute Head to Bolster Pose.
- If you experience pain or discomfort in your lower back in forward bends, use more support such as two bolsters, or rest your head and arms on a chair seat to minimize spinal flexion.
Restorative Yoga Poses : Seated Butterfly Photo Gallery
- Supports and maintains your spine in healthy, normal flexion.
- Gently stretches your back, glutes, groin, and inner thigh muscles.
- Helps relieve lower back pain associated with tight spinal extensors, lordosis, and pregnancy.
- Can help alleviate neck pain, headache, and menstrual pain.
- . From a seated position, bring the soles of your feet together and let
your knees fall apart wide. Then move your feet apart so you can place a block between them on its tallest setting.
- . Place the second block on its lowest setting closer to your pelvis.
- . Rest the bolster onto the blocks and bow forward to rest your chest and
one cheek on the bolster.
- . Halfway through, turn your head and place the opposite cheek down
for an equal stretch of your neck.
- . Remain in Seated Butterfly for 5 to 8 minutes. To exit the pose, press
into your hands to sit up and move the blocks aside to stretch out your legs.
If you experience pain or discomfort in your hips or knees here, place pillows or blankets underneath your outer thighs for support.