Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs
Backbend, Hip Opener • 5 to 10 minutes
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
- If you suffer from lower back pain or sensitivity, substitute Pregnant Goddess Pose
- Supports and maintains natural, healthy spinal extension and external hip rotation.
- Gently stretches your chest, shoulders, and inner thigh muscles.
- Helps reverse the effects of sitting for long periods and slouching.
- Encourages a deep, calming breath.
- Helps alleviate the physical contraction of stress and anger.
- Instills renewed energy and mental clarity.
Restorative Yoga Poses : Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs Photo Gallery
- . From a sitting position, bring the narrow end of the bolster up to the base of your spine.
- . Bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together, opening your knees wide to make a diamond shape with your legs.
- . Place the middle of the blanket roll on top of your feet, then draw the ends around your ankles to meet behind your heels so your outer shins are supported.
- . Reach behind you and hold the bolster with both hands. Relax your abdominal muscles and gently lower your spine and back of your head down onto the bolster. Release your arms wide.
- . Remain in the pose for 5 to 10 minutes. To exit, use your hands to draw your knees together. Place one hand down on the earth next to you and gently roll to one side, then press yourself up to a sitting position.
If you feel your heart racing in response to the stretch across your chest, make your exhales longer than your inhales and feel your heart slow down again as you relax.