The following asana relaxes & improves the flexibility and strength of the back. It also helps remove postural defects like a rounded back.
Caution: Practice this gently and slowly and avoid jerks.
• Get down on all fours, arms straight, palms under your shoulders, fingers facing forward, knees in line with your hips.
• Inhale and raise head and look up as you create an intense dip in your back.
Marjariasana Photo Gallery
Click on Photos for Next Marjariasana Gallery Images
• Hold position and your breath for a few seconds.
• Exhale and drop head down and arch back as shown.
• Hold breath and maintain position for a few seconds.
• Resume start position.
• Do 10 – 15 rounds.
These asanas open the chest and shoulders and stretch and strengthen the back. They also strengthen the thighs, hamstrings and calf muscles and stretch and open up the groin and inner thighs.
Caution: People with heart problems and high blood pressure should not practice this posture. Those with back pain and weak knees should avoid step 4 in Exercise 1, step 2 in Exercise 2 and step 3 in Exercises 3-4.