Bridge – Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Main benefit – Strengthens the back muscles and opens the front of the body.
1. Lie on your back on the mat, arms along the side of the body, palms down.
2. Bend your knees, place your feet on the mat close to your buttocks, feet hip width apart.
3. As you inhale, flatten your back into the mat and as you exhale, slowly peel your hips from the floor and push them towards the sky.
4. When you reach the top, suck your belly in, look down the midline of your body with your head still on the floor. Work the arms and hands gently into the floor and gently squeeze the knees towards each other. The knees do not need to touch; the inner thighs just need to be activated.
5. Find your breath and hold for at least three long breaths.
6. When you are ready, inhale to raise a little higher, then, as you exhale, start to slowly peel your spine back onto the mat. Rest.
7. Repeat this action 2-3 times.