A Grateful Heart
- Blanket roll
- Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or
- A large pillow)
- Square eighth-fold blanket (or neck pillow)
- 2 blocks (or large hardcover books)
- Spine Lengthening Pose
- Mountain Brook
- Simple Supported Side Bend
- Supported Open Twist
- Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs
- Seated Butterfly
- If you experience sensitivity in your spine with backbends, skip Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs or substitute Pregnant Goddess Pose.
Simple Supported Side Bend
Supported Open Twist
Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs
- Helps reverse the effects of sitting for long periods
- Encourages heart-centered emotions of love, joy, compassion, and gratitude.
- . Begin with 5 to 10 minutes in Spine Lengthening Pose , then bend
your knees and roll to your side.
- . Press yourself up to a sitting position, then adjust the blanket roll
behind you so that it runs horizontally across your mat. Lie back down for 5 to 10 minutes in Mountain Brook .
- . Bend your knees, roll to your side, and press yourself up to a sitting
position. Move your legs off the bolster to the left and bring your right hip up to the edge of the bolster and tuck your feet in behind you. Guide yourself into Simple Supported Side Bend for 3 to 5 minutes.
- . From Simple Supported Side Bend on the right side, move directly
into Supported Open Twist for 3 to 5 minutes.
- . Return to Simple Supported Side Bend then press yourself up and
leave your props as they are, turning yourself around to sit on the left hip and repeat both poses on the left side.
- . After you’ve completed both sides, press yourself up, turn your bolster
so it’s lengthwise, and turn yourself around to a sitting position with the base of your spine touching the narrow end of the bolster. Use your blanket roll to support your legs in a butterfly position and guide yourself into Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs for 5 to 10 minutes.
- . Draw your knees together, roll to one side, and press yourself up to a
sitting position. Turn around to face your bolster, prop it up on the blocks, and complete your practice with 5 to 8 minutes in Seated Butterfly .
Use the Gratitude Meditation outlined hereduring Heart Pose with Butterfly Legs and feel your heart, body, and mind opening to the flow of abundance.